Hi, I’m Christian Acker: creative director, designer, brander, writer, marketer and content-maker. I have committed my working life to unpacking contemporary culture, youth and what works in the real world. I am interested in process as much as audience, and have a keen eye for the patterns important to contemporary culture. From sport to art; skateboarding to beer; music to sneakers; my experience and work is a synthesized expression of a contemporary cultural zeitgeist played out over a 20 year career. ‘Less pop. More culture.’
Adnauseum, Inc. Boston. July 2016–Present
- Consultant partnering with clients of all types working on all things brand, from launch strategies to identities, products, campaigns, interior and retail experiences. Looking for new collaborators, partners, and clients to make great stuff happen.
Solidarity of Unbridled Labour. Burlington, Vermont/Boston. September 2016 - January 2017
Consultant - Creative Direction & Design.
- Strategy, creative direction & design for new product launch
Converse Boston. June 2014 - June 2016
Global Associate Creative Director, Brand Design - All Segments. Boston. November 2015 - Present Global Associate Creative Director, Brand Design - Cons Segment. Boston. June 2014 - November 2015
- Lead the global team responsible for concept and development of all seasonal brand creative across all product categories • Worked in a cross-functional role directly with VP Global Creative Director of Brand, VP Product Marketing, Director of Retail Marketing and Director of Brand Communications
- Worked with regional business partners to determine needs and goals of seasonal work to best implement global assets on a regional level
- Completed Nike Management training programs:
- Coaching +
- Manager +
- Mandel’s Think & Speak for ResultsTM (presentation and public speaking course)
Mass Appeal New York City. November 2013 - May 2014
Associate Creative Director.
Founded in 1996, Mass Appeal is the premier pop culture content brand, focusing on contemporary urban youth lifestyle
art, fashion & music
Adnauseum, Inc. New York City. May 2010–May 2014
Owner, Creative Director.
- Select clients: The New York Times, Obey Clothing, ESPN, Complex Magazine, Nike, Puma, Under Armour, Ecko, R/GA, Oxford University Press, Northwestern University Press, KelSo Beer, Loser Machine Clothing Co and Arnette Sunglasses
Zoo York New York City. October 2004–May 2010
Sr Art Director. May 2009–May 2010
Art Director. October 2006–May 2009
Sr Graphic Designer. October 2004–May 2006
The first and largest East Coast skate brand. Since 1993
- Responsible for the team of graphic designers for all product printables, soft goods and hard goods
- During my time at Zoo York annual sales grew from $5M to over $30M
SME Branding September 2002–August 2003
- Branding and identity development for professional and collegiate sport franchises
Zona Design New York City. May 2002 -September 2002
- Branding and identity development for cable television networks and programs
Princeton Partners Princeton. Septembert 1997 -January 1998
- I started my career learning how to spray mount presentation boards and back up SyQuest discs.
Anyone remember those?
Parsons School of Design
Adjunct Professor. New York City. Summer 2002, Fall 2003, Fall 2004, Fall 2010
- Taught a variety of studio communication design classes in the BFA and AAS programs
Handselecta-Owner, Principal. New York City/Boston. May 2003–Present
- Font foundry and preservation project culminating in the book: Flip The Script, released by Gingko Press in March of 2013
- Lectured at: Stanford University, Parsons School of Design, NYC Type Directors Club and School of Visual Arts
Honors and Awards
National Public Radio-appeared as a guest on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn. March 2014
Lecturer: International Arts Movement. October 2013
Inhabit Conference NYC 2013: Guest speaker: Christian Acker on the validity of vandalism
New York Times Book Review. Flip The Script by Christian P Acker. April 7, 2013
“Graf ti is now so closely linked to branding products that it‘s lost its edge, but Flip the Script by Christian Acker is an admirably researched oral history and tribute to it rebellious roots.” –Steven Heller, New York Times Book Review.
Parsons School of Design. New York City. 1998 - 2002
BFA with Honors, Communication Design
Tattoos, graffii, theology, philosphy, psychology & economics